Wednesday, June 1, 2016

The Case of the Kid Who Loved to Read

I don't know about you, but I loved to read even when I was 10. My favorite books at that time were the Nancy Drew series. I read so many of the Nancy Drew books, that my library began searching in other libraries for more of the books. One day, the head librarian came and got me and took me to her office. I volunteered their regularly, so I knew she had a vault of retired books in her office. What I was not expecting was for her to hand me a box from the vault and for her to say "Have at it!". The box was full of very old editions of Nancy Drew books. The books actually had two stories within them. Needless to say I read them all.


Recently,  I was able to use a Nancy Drew book for a fifth grade assignment. I absolutely loved getting to use such a fun book as a basis for an educational lesson. Re-reading this book about Nancy and her father, Carson, spending time at a resort solving a case together took me back to my elementary school years. 

I think a very important part of education is having fun while learning. It is important to remember that if we, as educators, are not having fun teaching a lesson, how can we expect our students to?

No comments:

Post a Comment